[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert Depenbrock <robert at bay13 dot de>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Jim Gifford <baadpuppy at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PIX vs m0n0wall testing -- requesting input (was: Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: Re: to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question? What about VIA?)
 Date:  Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:04:30 +0100
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Chris Buechler wrote:

Hi!

> I'd go with crossover cables only between devices (eliminate any
> influence a switch might have), and try NAT and routing speeds

Right.

> > I believe that we can do this at work.  My coworker is also interested
> > in the results.  He is a believer in PIX and I'm a m0n0wall
> > evangelist, however I believe together we can give good fair testing
> > and results.
> >

> I just ran iperf from LAN to DMZ (routing, no NAT) on a 515E at a
> steady 91-92 Mb.
>
> Compared to Soekris and WRAP, that blows them out of the water, but we
> aren't talking even close to the same class of hardware (that PIX
> costs around 12 times as much as a Soekris or WRAP).

For WRAP and Soekris , yes, but you should more Compare a Cisco 501 with a
Wrap , its (almost) the same size ;)

> hardware and m0n0wall will come out way ahead.  m0n0wall should come
> out ahead on less than half the hardware, dollar wise, as a rough
> guess.

There are decent barebone firewall systems out there.
I have a G478 from Iwill, and Portwell also makes some fine boxes.

They should be a closer Match to a 515E (only have an 515 without E at
home)

> I'm a Cisco nut myself, but I'll take a m0n0wall over a PIX any day.

Why? :)

> iperf is probably a good tool for the job, but that only tests a
> single TCP stream.  That's a good indicator of max throughput, but not
> of how scalable the firewall really is (you aren't going to push 92 Mb
> through your firewall on a single TCP stream, generally, maybe over a
> few thousand TCP connections).  I'd hit Google and see what kind of
> other testing tools you can dig up.  I'd definitely be interested in
> anything you come up with.

You could also try the free availble tool Qcheck from ixia.

regards
  Rob.

--
nic-hdl RD-RIPE