[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  anders knudsen <andersbk at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Qwest DSL OSPF blocking?
 Date:  Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:47:05 -0500
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:33:59 -0700, anders knudsen <andersbk at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I have qwest dsl. The modem is set up in bridge mode (essentially it's
> just a transceiver.)
> m0n0wall is authenticating via PPPoE, and NAT/Firewall are working perfectly.
> My concern is that ipf is blocking ospf requests from qwest. Will this
> be a problem? Is it possible/safe to create an ipf rule to not log
> these requests, as they are very frequent (see output from ipmon
> below. I removed the source IP...and the 224 is obviously the ospf
> broadcast address.)
>
> I did search the mailing list, and read all the various posts
> about/requesting ospf support, and can understand why it's not
> included. I'm not asking for this feature, just trying to understand
> if blocking these will affect me.

Not going to hurt anything.  That's their OSPF which only affects
their routers.  They really shouldn't be advertising out
customer-facing interfaces, but we won't go there.  :)  (depending on
their network design, if it's not well done, they may have to)

Yes, you can safely drop and not log it.

-Chris