[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jouni Rinne <jouni dot rinne at luukku dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Connecting to ISP using PPTP
 Date:  Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:28:02 +0200
Boy, now I am in trouble...

Recently I decided to change my ISP. I have used Smoothwall on my old trusty
firewall box, but because the new ISP requires the connection to be made with
PPTP and Smoothwall doesn't support that, and the old hard drive was quite
noisy, I started looking for alternatives...

and found m0n0wall: PPTP support: good, installable to flash drive: very good!

So I started modifying the firewall box, bought more memory and IDE/CompactFlash
adapter and an CF card, installed m0n0wall 1.11 there and booted it: worked like
a dream with the old ISP's connection (just DHCP there), which still works until
the end of this month.

Now, yesterday I got a message that the new ISP's connection is working, today I
got the ISP-supplied Ethernet/HomePNA converter, swapped the old cable modem for
it and started to configure the new connection... That's where the trouble started:

Yes, I got username and password from the ISP, and an IP-address to make a
connection to, but what on earth should I write as local IP? I have no means to
know what it is, because it's dynamic, supplied by the ISP when I make the
connection...

What can I do now to allow m0n0wall to make a connection? Does this mean that I
have misunderstood m0n0walls's PPTP support, and the firewall box is only good
for scrap heap and I have to purchase an expensive VPN router with PPTP support?

Yours

Jouni Rinne, Finland

--
| me@home ~$whoami            ^ ^  | "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" |
| Jouni 'Mad Max' Rinne      ('x') | - Sledge Hammer                    |