[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael D. Joy" <mdjoy at phy dot olemiss dot edu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Lockups since upgrade to 1.2b3
 Date:  Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:18:58 -0600
I'm running a Wrap 1C-3 and am also experiencing hard locks after 1.2b3
upgrade. I have since reverted to 1.2b2. Oddly enough, the behavior
seemed to be exacerbated by the packet shaper. I run the packet shaper
with rules, to make Azureus bittorrent traffic lowest priority, and
while bittorrent was running, if any other heavy traffic occurred, the
router would lock up solid. No ping, console dead. I have the router
syslogging to another box, and there's absolutely no notice that it's
about to break. The only things in common with each lockup is this. When
running World of Warcraft, with bittorrents running on two different
computers behing the wrap monowall, the router would lockup within 10-15
min every time. If I turned off the packet shaping, then it would take
longer to freeze up but it would still freeze. Messing with settings in
the router via the web page, such as monitoring bandwidth usesage or
watching the log would also cause it to lock up faster.

I noticed 25-30 port bounces on 38860 and 38866 before each crash while
bittorrent was running, but I assume this is because most torrent
clients use random ports, while azureus just uses one.

There's no science behind this analysis of the lockups, just
observations. I reverted to 1.2b2 and the lockups went away. Been
running rock solid for 2 days now. Previously, I had a 22 day uptime
between power outages on the router.

Michael Joy