[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Confirmed: bug in firewall on OPT1
 Date:  Sun, 19 Dec 2004 14:09:37 -0500
Frederick Page wrote:
>>> <source>
>>>     <address>169.254.0.0/16</address>
>>> </source>
> These are the "private" addresses of idiots with wintendos. I do not
> want such traffic, even if it's routable.

Microsoft is not the only OS to use Automatic Private IP Assignment -
Apple uses it as well.

I still prefer the NT4 dialog box stating that the system did not get
an IP from the DHCP server over the 2000/XP act of silently using one
of those 169.254.0.0/16 addresses. Automatic assignment is a good
theory, but I prefer to be told when something is not working.

James W. McKeand