[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  bmah at acm dot org (Bruce A. Mah)
 To:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 Cc:  bmah at acm dot org, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Little setup help.
 Date:  Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:28:33 -0800
If memory serves me right, "Mitch \(WebCob\)" wrote:
> Not sure what they are telling you Bruce - maybe you should pass along the
> geek speak they are saying directly...
>
> They could be advising you to put a firewall with NAT capability in front of
> your hosted boxes... they could be telling you that you can connect to your
> own hosted boxes through a VPN tunnel...
>
> In either case you can use monowall, depending of course on the amount of
> bandwidth you are using, you can select appropriate hardware - but you need
> to define the problem better.

You misunderstand...Federico Krum is the guy with the question, not me.
I'm the poor fool who wrote the filtering bridge feature for m0n0wall
and feels compelled to help people trying to use it (this started out as
a filtering bridge question).

Actually another scenario I just thought of is that the provider might
want him to use a RFC1918 address for the interface facing into the POP,
but give him a /29 for his machines.  In this case, he would want
m0n0wall to act as a straight router (no NAT, no bridging).  I've seen
cable ISPs do something similar...I'm not a particular fan of this
arrangement though.

I agree he needs to provide more specifics.  It might also be
appropriate to find a consultant who can help with this.

Bruce.