[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ping Kwong" <kwongp at midtown dot net>
 Subject:  PPTP packet loss problems revisited
 Date:  Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:01:35 -0800
A while back I had asked the list regarding the problems I was having
connecting to the PPTP server using Windows XP.  What would happen is
that once you connect to the VPN server and attempt to ping the server
or any other address through the VPN connection, you would get packet
loss on some computers only.  After fruitless google searches, tweaking
of MTU settings on the client end using DrTCP, I was still unable to
resolve the problem.  Other computers worked fine.  I thought maybe it
was the wireless connection as this problem was prevalent on 3 notebooks
I tried this on.  Needless to say, I just reinstalled XP from scratch
and applied all critical patches everything appears to work fine now on
all 3 notebooks.  Granted it is an extreme measure but seeing that I was
getting no help and I've pretty much exhausted my resources, I tried
something more extreme.  I would still like to find an answer that fixes
this packet loss problem but I just thought I'd pass this on to some
people that have given up on using PPTP or if this problem should crop
up again in the future.

I have tried this using direct Ethernet and through wireless connection
but have yet try using a dial-up connection.  YMMV.