[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Ping Kwong" <kwongp at midtown dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPTP packet loss problems revisited
 Date:  Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:18:38 +0100
On 07.11.2003, at 01:01, Ping Kwong wrote:

> A while back I had asked the list regarding the problems I was having
> connecting to the PPTP server using Windows XP.  What would happen is
> that once you connect to the VPN server and attempt to ping the server
> or any other address through the VPN connection, you would get packet
> loss on some computers only.  After fruitless google searches, tweaking

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2003-September/
001420.html

...and more, google for "MPD PPTP XP packet loss" or something. It's a
problem in MPD, not m0n0wall; I've seen it before on stock FreeBSD
systems with MPD. In any case, it works with Win 2000, which is really
strange. It is almost definitely not MTU related, as it happens even
with small (< 100 Bytes) ping packets. I suspect it could have
something to do with encryption, but I'm not entirely sure (I mean,
stateless encryption is enabled, so real physical packet loss shouldn't
hurt it much).

I don't want to see us switching to poptop (userland... *yawn* ;).

- Manuel