[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  ed bongaerts <ed at bongaerts dot com>
 To:  Jim McBeath <jimmc at macrovision dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Anyone used Netgate a/b/g card in Soekris?
 Date:  Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:16:08 +0100
hello Jim,

I looked at the Soekris kit first, and xseveral other kits, but decided to
install a Netgear MA311 PCI card [at cost of about EUR 50 or less
presently, and therefore substantially less then the Netgate kit]. It has
a required Prism 2.5 chipset [read more about the FreeBSD WI-card drivers
and required hardware]. I then marked and drilled an dia 8 mm hole into
the 4501 casing to lead and connect the antenna outside.

Another dia 1 or 2 mm hole could be drilled to observe the led activity of
the WI-card from outside, but I skipped that step.

This works pretty well for me, although I have not engaged in the issue of
various strength of the signal for various cards.

The card has to be activated via telnet on the monowall terminal menu
first, can then be configured via the GUI.

I'll say again, the combination of Soekris 4501 and Monowall simply works,
which is a huge compliment to the programmer and contributors.

best regards : ed bongaerts