[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Josh Davis-Ryan" <joshdr77 at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] feature request and a bug
 Date:  Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:08:04 +0100
On 11.11.2003, at 09:27, Josh Davis-Ryan wrote:

> BUT
> in the lan, when i point my browser to http://sivad77.ath.cs:8002 <-
> it does not work
> i have to goto http://192.168.1.5:8002 <- this is pretty annoying
> it would be nice to use my dynamic name :) - maybe i didnt set
> something up right :S

Nah, that's because of the way ipnat works. It's not possible to make
this work without some ugly kludges, unfortunately. BTW, many
commercial firewalls have this problem, too. There's another solution,
though: you can use m0n0wall's DNS forwarder as the DNS server for your
internal machines and then set up an override record for your ath.cs

> bugs:
> *i changed the mac address on the wan card (very nice feature), and
> the internet stopped working, as when you setup the router u select
> which card does what via the mac address in the console.......changing
> the mac address didnt update this automatically, and i spent 30mins
> wondering why my net went down :(

Uhm... no, the interfaces are not assigned to a function by means of
their MAC address, but by their FreeBSD interface name. Look at the
config.xml and you'll see what I mean. The MAC addresses are only
displayed for identification purposes. There must be another reason.

- Manuel