[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah at acm dot org>
 To:  Chauncey W <chaunceyw at sympatico dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Multiple IP's on external interface
 Date:  Tue, 4 Nov 2003 08:58:34 -0800
[Top-posting corrected.]

If memory serves me right, Chauncey W wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 02:47, Henk Badenhorst wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would it be possible to add support for multiple ip's on the external
> > interface.I know it sounds useless with NAT but there are some other
> > applications for it.Please would you consider it.
>
> I believe all you need to do is set 1:1 NAT for each of the multiple IPs

Multiple IP *addresses*.

> and it will essentially do this (guru correct me if i'm wrong).
>
> I think this is the reason there hasn't been a "multiple IP on WAN

Multiple IP *addresses*.

> interface" feature created.

I'd like to know what other applications there are that would require

The only scenario I can think of (pre-caffeine this morning) is that
you want a m0n0wall box to sit in front of multiple hosts that need to
have externally visible IP addresses.  The newly-added filtering
bridge functionality was designed for exactly this setup, without
needing to resort to hacks with NAT.

Bruce.