[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Iedema" <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Wireless Bridge Problem
 Date:  Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:14:27 -0600
Hello all,
I've setup a wireless bridge between two houses and am having trouble
getting connectivity.

Setup Breakdown:

Each side has a 4511 rooftop box & a m0n0wall internet gateway. Traffic
destined for the other side's subnet is statically routed up to the roof
to be transmitted across.  The wireless devices are WAN, and the link is
being established via IPSEC.

Subnets:

Local Subnet 192.168.0.0/24
Remote Subnet 192.168.2.0/24
Rooftop Subnet 192.168.50.0/24

Problem:

The system logs show that the link is being established correctly.  I
can bring up the remote 4511's m0n0wall GUI (NAT forwarded 80).  Trying
to reach a remote host fails indicating a destination host unreachable.

Tracert:
Tracing route to 192.168.2.40 over a maximum of 30 hops

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  m0n0wall.undergroup.com [192.168.0.1]
  2     1 ms     6 ms     5 ms  192.168.50.2
  3  192.168.50.2  reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.

Ping yields the same thing.

Hypothesis:
I believe it to be a firewall problem.  In previous versions of m0n0wall
this link was established correctly and network traffic was being passed
correctly.  More leaves grew, wireless went away, now the leaves are
gone and I'm using a newer version of m0n0wall which is not passing
traffic correctly.  With the rather large modifications to the firewall
I'm thinking it is the culprit.

Any thoughts, further explanation needed?

Thanks,
--Michael I.