[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] more networsks behind m0n0? - isolation mode
 Date:  Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:04:14 -0500
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:00:33 +0100, Peter Parnican <peter at procad dot sk> wrote:
> Hi m0n0-guys,
>
> I was asking some network admin about isolation mode. (how to disable
> wireless client to comunicate each other... example: two user in wirelless
> network coping (..copying..don know correct english :-)  ) big file over AP
> and other user cant access internet.
>
> And admin guys told me that i should put all users to different networks. Im
> not very clear how to do it and what they exactly mean with it.
> Is it like this?: one network 10.10.1.1, secend 10.10.2.1, third 10.10.3.1 ?
> ...if Yes how to do it with mono?....

Adding a bunch of subnets isn't going to keep people from exhausting
available bandwidth.  It would provide a primitive means of keeping
users from accessing other wireless users.

If you need this sort of functionality in your access point, you're
going to have to go with a commercial solution.  For example, Cisco
AP's would allow you to map SSID's to VLAN's, which you could then set
up an OPT interface on m0n0wall with VLAN's to control what each VLAN
could get to.

-Chris