[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re: Confirmed: bug in firewall on OPT1
 Date:  Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:05:52 -0000
> If you're using PPTP on WAN (which I assume you are), you can
> enable the "block private networks" option. It only applies
> to the virtual PPP interface in that case, not the real
> Ethernet interface that your ADSL modem is connected to.

Alas not, most folks in the UK are probably using standard DHCP (as I am).
Essentially the ADSL modem acts as a DHCP server, just the first IP it gives
out is the WAN IP, which is then used by (as far as the modem is concerned)
sole client. However, one still accesses the configuration pages on the ADSL
modem using its private IP (in my case: 10.10.4.253), so blocking private
networks isn't really viable.

Maybe it's just a peculiarity of the way PPPoA modems work?

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579