[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dell 2450
 Date:  Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:45:53 -0500
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:12:21 +1000, Quark IT - Hilton Travis
<hilton at quarkit dot com dot au> wrote:

> I have a client with an old Dell 2450 Server that's about to be made
> redundant by some new servers (as are 2 * Dell 4300 boxes).  Are there
> likely to be any issues with using this box, with its onboard SCSI
> controller, as a m0n0wall box?

Onboard SCSI will work fine.  2450's are ahc or ahd driver, don't
recall which offhand, either of which is in the m0n0wall generic PC
kernel.  If it has a PERC, the drivers for RAID cards are not included
in m0n0wall.

> It will be a P-III 800 with 128MB RAM (at least) and 2 * 10/100 NICs
> (one onboard in the ServerWorks board - Broadcom from memory).

I don't recall what the onboard NIC's are in the 2450's, but I know
they are supported.

(I say this from past FreeBSD 4 experience, not specifically with
m0n0wall, though there shouldn't be any difference)

-Chris