[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IP Firewall Unloaded
 Date:  Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:02:02 -0700
Chris Buechler wrote:

>>I happened to connect a monitor to my m0n0wall console today, saw "IP
>>Firewall Unloaded" on the screen under the menu.
>>
>>What exactly does that mean?
>>
>ipfw, built as a kernel module, is unloaded if traffic shaper isn't
>being used (iirc...).  ipfw is only used for traffic shaping.

Interesting.  The weird part is that nobody was touching m0n0wall at the
time -- I'm the only one with the password, I'd just rebooted m0n0wall
remotely about an hour earlier and hadn't had a chance to play with
m0n0wall yet.

>ipfilter, what's used for actual firewalling, is built into the kernel
>and can't be unloaded.

Yeah, I knew that...

--
UNIX Sex
{look;find;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;flex;unzip;mount;workbone;