[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  "'Jason Humes'" <jhumes at acs dot on dot ca>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] PIX vs m0n0wall testing --Speed test results on De ll!
 Date:  Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:03:01 -0000
> I'm using the onboard NICs...I have not tried any other ones
> yet...could these onboard nics be the problem you think?
> Thanks...What sort of speed are others seeing who run this
> software?  Thanks.

Many onboard NICs, especially on cheaper motherboards tend to be Realtek or
SiS chipsets. In my (non-m0n0wall) experience I find Realtek cards tend to
be an extra few percent higher on cpu utiliziation when compared to an Intel
Pro/100+ card, and a few mbps slower.

I must confess to never having run for extended periods anything other than
pro/100+ cards (and one pro/1000) in m0n0wall boxes. Over the Christmas
break I will unplug my wireless AP running on OPT1, connect a standard PC
via cable and do some cross-subnet benchmarking on the celeron 433 I run as
a m0n0wall here.

(FWIW, I'm currently getting about 23mbps across the wireless link from a
machine on the LAN to my TV playback box connected wirelessly through a
Linksys WAP54G access point on OPT1. I'm pretty sure that it's the WLAN link
holding it back, but it means that even on my lowly system, m0n0wall must be
successfully cross-subnet routing at least at that speed.)

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579