[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] M0n0wall Feature Comparison
 Date:  Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:04:00 +0100
PIX 515 supports max 6 physical interfaces and 10 total.
This means you can configure 802.1Q VLANs but as many as you like.

Indeed the PIX hardware (at least the 515E series) is x86 based.
I guess the whole PIX series is x86 based but no idea which CPU they use
in 501, 506 and 535.

I know that the old PIX 525 used almost a standard PC board and knowing
which BIOS / card / flash-adapter to use you can rebuild one using
standard components.
So basically there is no "magic" inside, no spcialized ASIC, no wonder.
Is just a fine matched software and hardware combo.
I'm pretty sure that through optimization we could get more out of
m0n0wall (kernel and driver tuning) but at cost of portability and
hardware compatibility.

Regarding VPN don't forget that PIX can be bundled with a VPN
accelerator card (VAC/VAC+).

Daniele

Robert Staph wrote:
> The number if interfaces might need adjusting, m0n0wall supports more
> than 3, not sure of exactly how many more though (as many as you have
> free IRQs?).  Same goes for flash mem, RAM, and Processor...  Unless you
> are talking about soekris or WRAP only hardware, which you might want to
> define a bit better.  (and even when talking about soekris you can get
> an add-on dual or quad interface board).
>
> I'm not sue of what platform the Cisco runs on, but its probably not PC
> based.  You'll want to mention that.
>
> -Rob
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mat Murdock"
> <mmurdock underscore lists at kimballequipment dot com>

   William Jennings Bryan