[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PIX vs m0n0wall testing --Speed test results on De ll!
 Date:  Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:00:49 -0500
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:19:17 -0500, Jason Humes <jhumes at acs dot on dot ca> wrote:
> I'm using the onboard NICs...I have not tried any other ones yet...could
> these onboard nics be the problem you think?  Thanks...What sort of speed
> are others seeing who run this software?  Thanks.

What chipset are they?  From what I've seen, most Dell boxes seem to
have Intel (fxp or em) or 3Com (xl) cards onboard.  You didn't mention
the model, or I'd have checked.

I've never seen realtek or sis NIC's onboard on a Dell, though they
are common on cheap motherboards.  Only thing I've seen is fxp, em,
and xl, though I'm sure there are probably some others.  Any of those
three are among the best cards you can get.

I really don't see the NIC's causing the less than stellar
performance, unless you have hardware or cabling issues (either of
which I'd imagine the Flukes would pick up).  Anything in the system
logs indicating problems?  Also check 'netstat -in' as was previously
suggested.  Forcing speed and duplex is worth a shot, for testing
purposes.

-Chris