[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] D-Link DWL-650 - grrrrrrrrrr
 Date:  Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:44:27 -0500
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:04:17 -0600, John <strgout at unixjunkie dot com> wrote:
> I seem to remember something about a wifi card like d-link changing the
> chipset but not changing the model number. I think it was this
> dlink but i can't seem to get into the freebsd bug tracking database.

Here's the PR you were speaking of.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/39928
some details in there that might be relevant.

I was just helping somebody on IRC tonight with getting some DWL-650's
working with m0n0wall.  Out of three, only one would work in hostap.
Any of them would work in infrastructure or adhoc.  The one that
worked in hostap was identified as:
/kernel: wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 0.03.00, Station 1.03.04

The two that didn't work were:

/kernel: wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary 0.03.00, Station 0.08.02

> > DWL-650 rev.P
> > Primary 1.1.2   Station 1.8.0
> >
> > Do I need to downgrade?

I just did quite a bit of googling and came to the determination that
anything other than the rev A1-J3 doesn't work with anything but
Windows without some hacking at a minimum, if they work at all.  I
just modified this page to reflect that.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/hardware-wireless.html

From DLink's support site:  "There are multiple revisions of the
DWL-650, each with version specific drivers, firmware, installation
guides, and other resources."

/me curses DLink for changing chipsets without changing model numbers

-Chris