[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert Rich <rrich at gstisecurity dot com>
 To:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  "C. Falconer" <cfalconer at avonside dot school dot nz>, "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] POWER RE: [m0n0wall] PIX vs m0n0wall testing -- requesting input (was: Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Re: Re: to Wrap or to Soekris that is my question? What about VIA?)
 Date:  Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:45:31 -0500
Quoting Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>:

> On 22.12.2004 07:01 +1300, C. Falconer wrote:
> > Celeron 300 running .70 A (.34 A was CRT) leaving 0.36 for machine.
> > Celeron 1700 running .65 A (.28 A was CRT) leaving 0.37 A for
> > machine Dell P3 700 laptop 0.14 A while charging battery and 0.10 A
> > later.
> >
> > For 235 Volts here in New Zealand that works out at
> > Celeron 300		165 Watts or 84.6 Watts for the machine
> > Celeron 1700	153 Watts or 86.9 Watts for the machine
> > Laptop		32.9 Watts charging or 23.5 Watts not charging
>
> <snip>
>
> It's been a while, but if it helps anyone - my WRAP.1A beta board was
> once measured at 300 mA busy (booting) and 210 mA idle @ 12 VDC (with
> one NIC connected, IIRC).

Those amp figures had me scratching my head (the celeron 300 was effectively
360mA) until i saw the @ 12VDC.

.360 * 235 = 84.6W (celery)
.210 * 12 = 2.5W (wrap)

Of course the wrap figures don't include power supply losses (those bricks don't
get hot for free), and the celeron is spinning a lot more than a clock...

For comparison, the nVidia 6800 Ultra graphics card draws 110 watts all by
itself (which, btw, is essentially equivalent to the maximum sustainable power
output of an average person)

All this talk about power consumption makes me feel like someone's dad (not my
own, of course, who seemingly marveled at anything involving massive quantities
of power...especially when displayed as the rate of change in kinetic energy :))

> - Manuel

Robert Rich
Global Security Technologies, Inc.
Mobile: 614.975.7549