[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need to get NetBEUI working over a PPTP tunnel (w2k <-> m0n0wall 1.11)
 Date:  Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:09:20 -0500
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:21:49 +0100, Peter Guhl <pgnews at siconline dot ch> wrote:

> Well, a customer wants to work from home during christmas holidays. We
> have got a m0n0wall acting as PPTP-Server placing it's clients in the
> same IP-range as the Server (samba). Unfortunately Windows 2000's VPN
> client tells me that it can't bind NetBEUI to the VPN because it can't
> negotiate the PPP control protocol (rough translation of the German
> error message). The checkbox to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP doesn't exist in
> the advanced configuration (WINS-tab) of the TCP/IP-Properties.
>
> Of course the Server is not visible in the Network neighbourhood (not
> really surprising after all...).
>
> Do you know how I can make that work? What's faster - trying to make
> NetBEUI work or switch to something like NFS?

Eww, why NetBEUI?  I'm hoping you don't actually use that protocol and
are misunderstanding its necessity.  Samba over TCP/IP should work
fine.  Network neighborhood doesn't work (reliably, if at all) over
PPTP because broadcasts don't traverse the connection.  You should be
able to map drives or pull up \\servername or \\IP.address from Start,
Run without modifying anything, assuming your Samba box works over
TCP/IP.

-Chris