[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Need to get NetBEUI working over a PPTP tunnel (w2k <-> m0n0wall1.11)
 Date:  Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:27:28 -0500
Peter Guhl wrote:
> Probably somebody asked before (sorry ...)
>
> Well, a customer wants to work from home during christmas holidays.
We
> have got a m0n0wall acting as PPTP-Server placing it's clients in
the
> same IP-range as the Server (samba). Unfortunately Windows 2000's
VPN
> client tells me that it can't bind NetBEUI to the VPN because it
can't
> negotiate the PPP control protocol (rough translation of the German
> error message). The checkbox to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP doesn't
exist
> in the advanced configuration (WINS-tab) of the TCP/IP-Properties.
>
> Of course the Server is not visible in the Network neighbourhood
(not
> really surprising after all...).

Are you able to connect?

Once you connect, can you ping internal IPs?

If you can ping, can you go to Start -> Run -> type "\\ <Server IP w/o
Space>" and get a list of the shares on the Server?

If you can then I would use a LMHOSTS file on the users machine to
resolve NetBIOS names to IP. Take a look at MS KB article 314108 or
180094 "How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation and Other
Name Resolution Issues" (Sorry for the assumed English-US version -
hope you can find one in German...)

For XP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314108/EN-US/
For 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180094/EN-US/

Also make sure the users home network is on a different subnet than
the office network.

> Do you know how I can make that work? What's faster - trying to make
> NetBEUI work or switch to something like NFS?

Depends on your skill set... ;-)

James W. McKeand