[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tanuj <tanuj at ts86 dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need to get NetBEUI working over a PPTP tunnel (w2k <-> m0n0wall 1.11)
 Date:  Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:55:35 +0000
Peter Guhl wrote:
> Probably somebody asked before (sorry ...)
>
> Well, a customer wants to work from home during christmas holidays. We
> have got a m0n0wall acting as PPTP-Server placing it's clients in the
> same IP-range as the Server (samba). Unfortunately Windows 2000's VPN
> client tells me that it can't bind NetBEUI to the VPN because it can't
> negotiate the PPP control protocol (rough translation of the German
> error message). The checkbox to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP doesn't exist in
> the advanced configuration (WINS-tab) of the TCP/IP-Properties.

You can use LMHOSTS file like other have suggested, or simply set the
WINS server on your clients to the Samba server. Do this under the
properties on the Windows boxes for the VPN connection.

You could even get domain logons to work this way too right from the
login prompt, assuming the client's interface to the Internet is up,
which means any logon script with driving mappings will get run too.

I found network neighboured worked for me too. The WINS server must dish
out a list when clients connect?

HTH.