[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on a PIX 515
 Date:  Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:24:15 -0500
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:42:17 +1000, Quark IT - Hilton Travis
<hilton at quarkit dot com dot au> wrote:

> I have a client with a Cisco PIX 515 sitting in their rack that hasn't
> been turned on for the last 18 months at least.  It is easily out of
> maintenance now, and the cost to bring it back to current maintenance,
> and then to be bothered re-learning the little of IOS I used to know is
> simply not worth it.
>
> The next >>obvious<< question is... As Cisco PIX 515 boxen are basically
> a PC - Pentium 200, 32 MB RAM, Flash Card and a few NICs - how likely is
> it that a m0n0wall image on a different Flash card would be able to boot
> and run in a PIX 515?

That's not enough RAM to run m0n0wall.  Might be upgradable, depends
on what model it is.  The old 4U boxes would be no problem.  I've
never opened one of the newer 1U's.

32 MB works fine under some circumstances, but I've seen boxes that'll
run out of RAM when using a couple IPsec tunnels, and upgrades via the
webgui will almost certainly fail.

The newer PIX's don't have the no video card beep error, but the older
ones do.

The Cisco flash is proprietary, so don't expect to overwrite it with
m0n0wall.  Considering a 16 MB Cisco flash card will go for ~$500+ USD
on ebay, I wouldn't even try to use one.  :)  The older ones have IDE,
the newer ones might.

-Chris