[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian" <mono at ricerage dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall on a PIX 515
 Date:  Thu, 23 Dec 2004 11:54:54 -0500 (EST)
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 06:42:17 +1000, Quark IT - Hilton Travis
> <hilton at quarkit dot com dot au> wrote:
>>
>> I have a client with a Cisco PIX 515 sitting in their rack that hasn't
>> been turned on for the last 18 months at least.  It is easily out of
>> maintenance now, and the cost to bring it back to current maintenance,
>> and then to be bothered re-learning the little of IOS I used to know is
>> simply not worth it.
>>
>> The next >>obvious<< question is... As Cisco PIX 515 boxen are basically
>> a PC - Pentium 200, 32 MB RAM, Flash Card and a few NICs - how likely is
>> it that a m0n0wall image on a different Flash card would be able to boot
>> and run in a PIX 515?
>>

> That's not enough RAM to run m0n0wall.  Might be upgradable, depends
> on what model it is.  The old 4U boxes would be no problem.  I've
> never opened one of the newer 1U's.
>
> 32 MB works fine under some circumstances, but I've seen boxes that'll
> run out of RAM when using a couple IPsec tunnels, and upgrades via the
> webgui will almost certainly fail.
>
> The newer PIX's don't have the no video card beep error, but the older
> ones do.
>
> The Cisco flash is proprietary, so don't expect to overwrite it with
> m0n0wall.  Considering a 16 MB Cisco flash card will go for ~$500+ USD
> on ebay, I wouldn't even try to use one.  :)  The older ones have IDE,
> the newer ones might.
>
> -Chris

Just a thought, really meant for the original poster:

Instead of taking a sledgehammer to a round peg/square hole problem, I
propose the following:

This is about the silliest idea I've ever seen. How about you take that
515 to ebay, and with the profits buy, say, a hundred WRAP or Soekris
boards.

Something to ponder...

 Brian