[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] freeze with 1.2b3: "microuptime went backwards"
 Date:  Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:03:25 -0500
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:11:59 +0100, Frederick Page
<fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de> wrote:

> I read about some lock-ups here, but never had one until now (about 6
> days uptime). m0n0wall 1.2b3 running on Soekris 4801, total freeze,
> neither accessible from browser, nor from serial console, no more
> traffic coming through. I had to disconnect the unit from the mains.
>
> The message on the serial console said:
>
> microuptime went backwards (461641.016466) -> (460945.635767)

That's interesting.  I've never seen that message on Soekris hardware
before, and you're the first to see it on m0n0wall (or at least the
first to report it, nothing in the list archives).  When I've seen it
on FreeBSD, it's either been fixed by a BIOS upgrade, setting plug and
play OS to no in the BIOS, or it's just flaky hardware that ends up
failing vendor diagnostic checks.

If you only see it once, I'd write it off as normal enough not to be
concerned about it.  If you get floods of that message, then one of
the above is likely your culprit (in the case of Soekris, it'd have to
be flaky hardware I'd imagine)

> Never had this before, I did a small config-change about 2 days ago: I
> activated SMNP on m0n0wall and have MRTG running on a linux machine.
> (Don't know, whether this might have to do something with it).

Doubt if that's related at all.

This wasn't much help, but at least you know that console message
almost certainly didn't have anything to do with it.

-Chris