[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  Peter Guhl <pgnews at siconline dot ch>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need to get NetBEUI working over a PPTP tunnel (w2k <-> m0n0wall 1.11)
 Date:  Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:57:50 -0500
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:42:57 +0100, Peter Guhl <pgnews at siconline dot ch> wrote:

> I did not yet have the courage to map it as a normal network drive
> though. The User only "dials" when he needs to. The rest of the time a
> drive mapping to an unreachable fileserver doesn't sound very
> desirable...

Not a big deal.  The mapped drives will actually create more problems
(or perceived problems) when the user is connected.  Then when you
open Explorer, or My Computer, or save as, it's going to pull info
from those mappings and slow down the process dramatically.  Exactly
how much depends on the speed of the connection, but don't be
surprised if My Computer takes 30 seconds or more to pull up if you
have several mappings.  When it's not connected, My Computer, et al,
should pull up as fast as if you didn't have the mapped drives because
it'll show them as "disconnected network drives" and won't try to pull
any info.  This is true on Windows XP.  I don't recall anymore what
older Windows versions did, though I'm pretty sure 2000 operates the
same way.

-Chris