[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Keith Redfield <kredfield at airsurfwireless dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Captive Portal issue
 Date:  Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:54:42 -0700
Keith Redfield wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>Running 1.11 on a junker PC and 2 enet interfaces (different vendors, but both seem OK). I have a
captive portal configured on the LAN interface.

>I was having a problem where the captive portal web page was not being displayed if I tried to
connect using a DNS name. If I tried a random IP address, it worked fine. I traced this to the fact
that I had static DNS configured on my windoze client. Is that expected behaviour? I guess assuming
that DHCP is correctly configured on the client is reasonable, so mainly posting this so others
might diagnose faster :)

>Otherwise, it's brilliant!

This is expected if your system can't reach the configured DNS server.
Your webbrowser will try to resolve the hostname and when it can't, it
doesn't know what IP to connect to.