[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Mark Spieth'" <mspieth at neod dot net>, "'Lars K. Walsh'" <domspatz at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Logon to Windows Domain over OVPN?
 Date:  Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:26:00 -0500

Lars K. Walsh wrote:
> Question:
> 1) can I logon to the company domain over OVPN?
> 2) how do I see folders/files?

You should be able to go to Start -> Run and type // <serverIP>
(without space after //) to get a window with the shares on the
server. If that works, your next step is to take care of name
resolution.

Browsing will work, if you build the LMHOSTS file for domain
validation. Your system will know where the "Master Browser" is and
the "Master Browser" will have a list of resources for the network.

If you need help with LMHOSTS, take a look at MS KB article 314108 or
180094 "How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation and Other
Name Resolution Issues" (Sorry for the assumed English-US version)

For XP Pro: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314108/EN-US/
For 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180094/EN-US/

I posted this a couple of days ago on a thread about NetBEUI working
over a PPTP tunnel. The same concepts should work with OpenVPN. Look
in the archives, I think the final resolution was to use WINS. So, if
you have a WINS server on your LAN use it, it will work better than
LMHOSTS file. WINS was created to remove the need for LMHOSTS files...
Also, if you have NT4 or Win9x on your LAN, WINS will help to reduce
some of the broadcast traffic on your LAN.

James W. McKeand