[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Helmeste <elf at glassfish dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall and atheros wireless
 Date:  Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:22:59 -0800
Recently I bought a WRAP board + an 802.11a/b/g atheros chipset card,
inteded for use as a WAP. I've hacked together a flash image of a
freebsd 5.3 kernel and system toolset, copied the m0n0wall specific
stuff over to it (w/ fbsd4 compat. libs). It boots, webgui comes up,
seems to work decently, etc. except for two problems. When it says
"Configuring WAN interface ..." it freezes in inc/interfaces.inc under
the DHCP configuration in the switch statement. I edited the config
file on the card to use correct interfaces and everything, and there
was a working DHCP server on the subnet. Any ideas? When I switch it to
a static IP it works fine. I'm also fairly certain I did copy over the
newest fbsd 5 version of dhclient, etc., but it's quite possible I made
a mistake there (or copied it to the wrong location, if m0n0wall puts
it in a different location than it's usually installed to).

The other problem is fairly simple. It seems (but maybe I'm wrong),
that the wireless device names are hardcoded into the PHP and boot
scripts, and the webgui isn't recognizing the atheros device as a
wireless card. I'm not very familiar with the PHP scripts, and it'd
take ages to read through them. Would anyone be able to tell me what
needs to be changed to be able to get the webgui to recognize the card
as wireless, and set basic settings on it? As of now the wireless card
just attaches to the existing AP as a client. I tried replacing
instances of "wi" with "ath" wherever I could find them, but it didn't
work.

Thanks!