[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  How to Display the traffic graph directly?
 Date:  Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:01:25 +0100
Hi everybody,

This may be a simple question, but the answer have eluded me for some
time now:

I would like to display certain pages (or parts thereof) from the
m0n0wall web GUI, either as part of a composite web-page (ie. with
other status pages shown in other frames) or on my Active Desktop. In
order to do so, it is, among other things, necessary to somehow
"pre-provide" the userid/password, as the page(s) will otherwise not
show (or alternativly, ask for this information, which is also not
acceptable).

Since it would appear that m0n0wall does not use the type of
form-method that allow you to compose a suitable URL with the userid
and password embedded, I am at a loss about how to achieve this?

Specifically, I would like to show the traffic graph (preferably the
SVG plugin only, without the menu and title etc.) on my active-desktop
and/or in a web-page also containing status-readings from several
other sources (such as from the web-interfaces of my RAID arrays and
wireless router etc.)

As it is now, I can right-click the SVG graph, and choose "Show SVG",
which will produce a new browser window with only the graph (which
also makes the graph resize with the window, which is nice) However,
if I cut'n'paste the URL used to show this SVG-only window, it will
not work (I assume this is due to the lack of password, which I can
find no valid method of providing?) The same goes for "plain" GUI
(html) pages, although they will show the popup asking for uid/pwd,
only the idea was NOT to have to enter this information each time
(especially since active-desktop will NOT allow this popup to be
shown, making these pages just as "broken" as the SVG issue above.)

If anyone know how this might be achieved, please let me know?

If this is not currently possible, I would like to (re)suggest that
the other (can't remember if that would be POST or GET) form-method be
allowed (possibly only if enabled by some checkbox in the GUI) for
this purpose (would also allow for easier "scripting" btw. Be it in
order to parse certain web-GUI pages or to make changes to the
m0n0wall configuration).

Thanks in advance,

A-)