[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  chi underscore guy at email dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  [m0n0wall]: hub on LAN: dhcp not working?
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:10:09 -0500
Topology:  INET>>WAN interface>>FIREWALL>>LAN >>hub=many

The hub has two client machines on it, one using linux and the other
an imac. The hub is NetSurf 8-port Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base TX
Hub. I've had it for years, and it seems to have worked just fine.

Setting up m0n0wall was straightforward, and I was able to plug in
the imac and look at the internet without difficulty. I also used the
  web interface to look at the firewall config, and everything looks
fine. At this point, the imac is the only client on the LAN.

So far, so good. I disconnect the imac, put the linux box on line. I
run whois on cnn.com and get back Turner broadcasting. Things
are looking good.

Then I turn off the hub, plug in both imac and linux clients and turn
the hub back on, and all heck breaks loose. The client machines
won't detect one another, won't detect the firewall, nothing. I
check ifconfig and netstat -nr, and each has obtained a different
ip address, as  expected. I look on the hub -- there's an awful lot
of traffic, at least if those LEDs are to be trusted.

On my pre-m0n0wall setup, I hard-coded the IP addresses and enabled
dhcp only for the internet connection off of a linux box. The various
clients seemed fine with sharing the hub under that regimen. There's
something I'm missing here,but I don't know what -- any
suggestions for figuring this out are greatly appreciated.

Dick
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm