[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  David Courtney <blixel at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Fwd: Wireless problems
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 03:52:46 -0500
On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 12:51:10 -0500, David Courtney <blixel at gmail dot com> wrote:
> I updated my comBIOS to 1.27a and updated m0n0wall to the latest beta,
> 1.2b3, but this is still happening.  Does anyone have any ideas at
> all?  I would hate to think that my $25 Netgear WAP is better than my
> $410 Soekris+m0n0wall WAP.
>
> Here is the error I'm seeing *after* the comBIOS and m0n0wall updates.

WEP on or off?  I'm guessing on.  Here's a post from Manuel on the
Soekris list a while back on what appears to be the same issue, though
he never got an answer (at least not on list).
http://lists.forko.com/pipermail/soekris-tech/2003-March/002056.html

There are all kinds of reports of turning off WEP fixing many issues
in wi's hostap in FreeBSD 4.x (lock ups and problems like you mention,
amongst other things, Google for your error messages for info).  Not a
great solution, but especially recently with recent tools that'll
crack WEP even faster than before [1], it's pretty useless to use it.
I run without WEP, with captive portal on.  Anything sensitive enough
to warrant encryption is sensitive enough that WEP is completely
inadequate.

[1] - http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1814

-Chris