[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] BTX Halted
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:47:54 -0500
Banda wrote:
>>> I had this problem on some old Dell's. I tried the hard drive
>>> image...
>>
>> I don't know if I would trust a Packard Bell PC. I remember when
>> my...
>
> You probably already noticed, but Dell != Packard Bell.

I am referring to the original poster that was having a problem with a
Packard Bell. I would not rely on a poorly made machine that was
probably built over 10 years ago for anything, especially for a
firewall. Maybe for experimentation, but only if I could not find
anything else.

True Dell is not Packard Bell. But, my point was that some old Dells
(any older PC) may have some similar characteristics. Non-Boot-from-CD
BIOS and CDRoms that will not read a CDR or CDRW media. Early CDRom
drives (1x, 2x, and 4x) were created before the concept of writable
media was readily available.

A few years ago, I was having issues with burning a CD at the office
and taking the disk to a client site and not being able to read the
disk. I was able to read the disk in my office in a drive other than
the burner. I might be able to fine one system in the client's office
that that could read the disk. Eventually we fond that the combination
of cheap media and old CDRom's (mostly pre-8x readers if I remember
correctly) could mean that a system would not able to read the disk.
Format/filesystem of the disk did not seem matter either (Joliet,
ISO9660, etc). Finalized or non-finalized may have been a factor,
don't remember. Multisession was definitely an issue.

James W. McKeand