On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:37:53 +0200 (EET), Jar <jar at pcuf dot fi> wrote:
> OK. I have always used ordinary pc hardware (P90...P166) and 1.5.6 or 1.7.4
> prism2/2.5 firmware (no lockups). Some performance issues with centrino and orinoco
> cards. But I think that was caused by the hardware prism2/centrino, prism2/hermes1
> not the hostap driver. Same kind of problems can be with commercial APs also.
> Hostap mailing list you can found many success stories with hostap and WPA.
There are plenty of people with problems, but seems for most, like
myself, it just works. I have a 4501 with a SL-2511, and while I
haven't purposely stress tested it, I've put it through its paces and
it works fine for me. It certainly has its issues though, on Linux
On a positive note, Sam Leffler committed some major wireless
enhancements to FreeBSD a couple weeks ago.
Some of the improvements he listed are:
* 802.11g support, for 802.11g cards supporting up to 54 Mbps
* WPA and 802.11i, the new security standard to replace WEP
* 802.1x, which provides access control and key management
* WME and WMM (Wireless Media Extensions and Wireless Multimedia),
which provide basic quality-of-service to 802.11
* Power saving functionality
* Cryptography, authentication, and access control plugin frameworks