[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless Lan Card for Monowall WLANMini-PCIToshiba
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:33:33 -0500
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:37:53 +0200 (EET), Jar <jar at pcuf dot fi> wrote:

> OK. I have always used ordinary pc hardware (P90...P166) and 1.5.6 or 1.7.4
> prism2/2.5 firmware (no lockups). Some performance issues with centrino and orinoco
> cards. But I think that was caused by the hardware prism2/centrino, prism2/hermes1
> not the hostap driver. Same kind of problems can be with commercial APs also.
>
> Hostap mailing list you can found many success stories with hostap and WPA.

There are plenty of people with problems, but seems for most, like
myself, it just works.  I have a 4501 with a SL-2511, and while I
haven't purposely stress tested it, I've put it through its paces and
it works fine for me.  It certainly has its issues though, on Linux
and BSD.

On a positive note, Sam Leffler committed some major wireless
enhancements to FreeBSD a couple weeks ago.

Some of the improvements he listed are:
    * 802.11g support, for 802.11g cards supporting up to 54 Mbps
    * WPA and 802.11i, the new security standard to replace WEP
    * 802.1x, which provides access control and key management
    * WME and WMM (Wireless Media Extensions and Wireless Multimedia),
which provide basic quality-of-service to 802.11
    * Power saving functionality
    * Cryptography, authentication, and access control plugin frameworks

http://excel.xl0.org/FreeBSD/13-12-04.html#id3

-Chris