[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  chi underscore guy at email dot com
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] [m0n0wall]: hub on LAN: dhcp not working?
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:29:00 -0500
I thought about that. I looked at each machine individually and noted the
ip obtained from dhcp -- one was 198.162.1.10, the other was 198.162.1.12.
Looking at the logs on the firewall seemed to confirm that as well.

My conjectures right now are (1) the firewall sets the communication to
half-duplex and it used to be full-duplex, or visa-versa (I seem to remember
in the back of my mind that one reduces the liklihood of collisions), or
(2) the imac, being a very new machine, is _much_ faster than other machines
on the network and is somehow flooding it with packets.

I do know that the hub is showing pathological signs. When in stable
operation, the "100" registers beam a solid green. They now do that when one
client is attached, but when two are, the orange "partition" registers start
blinking rapidly.

At some point I'll "hard code" the IP addresses on each box, turn off dhcp
and see if that makes a difference. It shouldn't, but that was the
configuration before m0n0wall and it seemed to work fine....

> So each one works by itself, but with both it doesn't work. Sounds
> like you've assigned the same IP to both systems, hence getting an IP
> conflict? I can't think of anything else offhand that would cause
> what you describe unless the hub died.
>
> -Chris
>

> > Setting up m0n0wall was straightforward, and I was able to plug in
> > the imac and look at the internet without difficulty. I also used the
> > web interface to look at the firewall config, and everything looks
> > fine. At this point, the imac is the only client on the LAN.
> >
> > So far, so good. I disconnect the imac, put the linux box on line. I
> > run whois on cnn.com and get back Turner broadcasting. Things
> > are looking good.
> >
> > Then I turn off the hub, plug in both imac and linux clients and turn
> > the hub back on, and all heck breaks loose.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm