[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] [m0n0wall]: hub on LAN: dhcp not working?
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:31:19 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:10:09 -0500, chi underscore guy at email dot com
> <chi underscore guy at email dot com> wrote:
>>
>> Setting up m0n0wall was straightforward, and I was able to plug in
>> the imac and look at the internet without difficulty. I also used
the
>>   web interface to look at the firewall config, and everything
looks
>> fine. At this point, the imac is the only client on the LAN.
>>
>> So far, so good. I disconnect the imac, put the linux box on line.
>> run whois on cnn.com and get back Turner broadcasting. Things
>> are looking good.
>>
>> Then I turn off the hub, plug in both imac and linux clients and
turn
>> the hub back on, and all heck breaks loose.
>

> So each one works by itself, but with both it doesn't work.  Sounds
> like you've assigned the same IP to both systems, hence getting an
IP
> conflict?  I can't think of anything else offhand that would cause
> what you describe unless the hub died.

What about just imac and Linux (remove m0n0wall)? Can you run Ethereal
(found at: http://www.ethereal.com/ or any network protocol analyzer)
on one of the boxes to see what is going on? Can you move the imac or
Linux box to different ports on the hub? Do you have another
hub/switch you can use - even an old 10BaseT hub?

James W. McKeand