[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Booting from CF-USB
 Date:  Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:50:08 -0800
Hello folks!

Please forgive a possibly frequent newbie question, but I've searched
the archives and all over Google and can't find a definitive answer to
my problem.

I'm currently running m0n0wall using a CDROM+Floppy combination, and it
performs wonderfully well, but I'd like to begin using a CF card in
order to eliminate as many moving parts as possible.

To that end, I'm using a Celeron-based motherboard (ASRock) which can
boot from USB/Flash.  I wrote the Rev-1.11 image to a SanDisk CF card
using 'physdiskwrite' on a Windoze box.  When I use a CF-USB converter,
it boots the kernel ok, and displays all the expected startup messages
until it tries to access the  config.xml  file, which I assume should be
on the CF somewhere.

I get the Fatal Error message which states "The device that contains the
config file (config.xml) could not be found."

My gut tells me it may be related to the similar situation in which
CF-IDE converters need the BIOS set for specific CHS values, but in this
case it's not possible to specify with a USB adapter in the BIOS menu.

Has anyone solved this problem when booting from CF-USB adapters?  This
hardware combination will probably become more common as cheap
motherboards and CF-USB adapters proliferate.

Thanks, and again my aplogies if this is a well-worn question.

Chuck Munro