[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Booting from CF-USB
 Date:  Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:34:52 -0500
Chuck Munro wrote:
> Has anyone solved this problem when booting from CF-USB adapters?
> This hardware combination will probably become more common as cheap
> motherboards and CF-USB adapters proliferate.

I remember reading the same issue with different CF adapters reading
the geometry differently. I don't have a solution, just some more
questions that come to mind.

Is the CF-USB a single slot or x-in-one multi-slot reader? Does a
multi-slot adapter present each slot as a different "drive"? (i.e.
SmartMedia is xx0, SD/MMC is xx1, CF is xx2, etc.) The BIOS finds
something bootable on xx2, but m0n0 is looking to xx0 for the config.
Could that cause problems? Can you boot Windows machine you used to
write the image to the CF from the CF?

Even with the prices of CF-USB being cheaper, I think I would still
recommend using an internal CF-IDE adapter. An internal device would
be more difficult to "accidentally" get unplugged from the system. Not
to mention neater appearance with fewer cables hanging off the back of
the system.

James W. McKeand