[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Booting from CF-USB
 Date:  Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:51:20 -0800
Brilliant!

Why didn't it occur to me that because I am using a multi-slot Flash-USB
adapter that BSD likely treats it as a collection of different devices?
  Mea idiotica.

I agree that a CF-IDE single-slot adapter is the best solution.  I just
wish I could buy one locally, but the computer shops around here don't
stock them any more.  Time to do some on-line shopping.

Alternately, if I could figure out which flash slot presents itself as
the first device I could simply buy the correct type of card and solve
the problem quickly.

Thanks for your insight :-)

Chuck Munro

-------------------

James W. McKeand wrote:

I remember reading the same issue with different CF adapters reading
the geometry differently. I don't have a solution, just some more
questions that come to mind.

Is the CF-USB a single slot or x-in-one multi-slot reader? Does a
multi-slot adapter present each slot as a different "drive"? (i.e.
SmartMedia is xx0, SD/MMC is xx1, CF is xx2, etc.) The BIOS finds
something bootable on xx2, but m0n0 is looking to xx0 for the config.
Could that cause problems? Can you boot Windows machine you used to
write the image to the CF from the CF?

Even with the prices of CF-USB being cheaper, I think I would still
recommend using an internal CF-IDE adapter. An internal device would
be more difficult to "accidentally" get unplugged from the system. Not
to mention neater appearance with fewer cables hanging off the back of
the system.