[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 To:  Jens Ekelund <jens underscore ekelund at home dot se>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] identd
 Date:  Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:08:13 -0700
Jens Ekelund wrote:

>Hello
>I have installed the cdrom-version and it works perfectly,
>Before i got 2 ips from my ISP, so the server was not behind a firewall.
>But now I only get one ip, So this is the way it must be.
>
>Before identd worked great, And i must have identd because I have a
>trust on Quakenet.
>But now the bouncers come in without identd they have a "~" before the
>identd.
>
>I have natforwardet port 113 tcp/udp but it doesn't seem to work,
>Have anyone tips that can help me? Anyone have the same problem?

Ident should work (it does here), you just need port 113/TCP (UDP won't
hurt, but it's not required) -- However, you can only point identd to
one machine at a time.

Some IRC clients with internal ident daemons will only listen when they
are establishing an IRC connection, and will only respond if the server
provides a valid port combination. This is fine for one machine, but if
both machines behind the same NAT'd firewall need to have identds,
you'll need to turn off this feature in your IRC client, or install your
own IDENTD server.

All that being said, get it working from the machine where you point the
NAT'd port 113 first, then try to get it working from the second machine.

Also, check to make sure you created a firewall rule to allow the
traffic as well as a NAT rule to direct the traffic.

--
I've given up on sigs. I just couldn't think of anything clever to say.