[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Feature Request - NNTP Magic Shaper
 Date:  Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:30:32 -0000
> Don't know if this is correct place to submit this, but would
> it be possible to add NNTP (News) option to the Magic Shaper
> interface.  This would give someone the option of setting
> NNTP to low priority like the P2P option.

I would have to caution against that. There are a number of organizations
(especially universities and the like) which operate their own NNTP feeds
for the purpose of providing user-to-user support and for making network
announcements. Certainly this was the case when I was at university - they
ran an NNTP server precisely for this purpose.

To be honest, if your users are using Usenet for large downloads, they're
probably already using one of the NNTP to HTTP gateways out there like
Giganews, Easynews, etc, since those will automagically re-assemble the
files for you.

Regards,

Chris
--
C.M. Bagnall, Partner, Minotaur
Tel: (07010) 710715   Mobile: (07811) 332969   ICQ: 13350579