[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "'William Marcelo Piovezan'" <william at uli dot com dot br>, "'Michael'" <malamb at shaw dot ca>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Hello
 Date:  Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:53:49 -0800
Hi there...

> Have you seen the current topic about "Multiple Wan Links"? There is a
> link
> http://www.bsdnews.org/01/policy_routing.php talking about Multiple WAN
> Links using ipfilter to perform policy routing. But I've seen several
> times
> about the needing of pf to do that. I'am not an expert but it seems that
> both information are conflicting. Or Multiple Gateway and Load balancing
> are completely different things?
>
> William.

[Mitch says:] I wouldn't say COMPLETELY different things, but they are
different... using info like in this doc allows you to do things like :

Default route is fast link.
Computer A is closer over slow link than over default link, so use it.
Respond to traffic in on fast link back out on fast link.
Respond to traffic in on slow link back out on slow link.

It does not allow you to send part of your outbound traffic through link 1,
and the rest through link 2.

It does not allow you to base this share on any sort of capacity or
utilization factor, but rather one of KNOWN destination based on IP.

That said, you can kludge it by creating a map of addresses which does
utilize both links for you in some form... I've not done this with ipfilter
on mono, but have done it and with default route failover before using ipfw
and a simple daemon that pinged remote hosts to check for "link health"...

From what I see in that article, the same could be done with ipfilter.

hth

m/