[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Warren <maillist at devilsplayground dot net>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Feature Request - NNTP Magic Shaper
 Date:  Tue, 04 Jan 2005 13:10:04 -0700
Chris Bagnall wrote:

>>Don't know if this is correct place to submit this, but would
>>it be possible to add NNTP (News) option to the Magic Shaper
>>interface.  This would give someone the option of setting
>>NNTP to low priority like the P2P option.
>>

>I would have to caution against that. There are a number of organizations
>(especially universities and the like) which operate their own NNTP feeds
>for the purpose of providing user-to-user support and for making network
>announcements. Certainly this was the case when I was at university - they
>ran an NNTP server precisely for this purpose.

Then those universities (or users therein) can create their own traffic
shaper rules with or without the magic shaper.

>To be honest, if your users are using Usenet for large downloads, they're
>probably already using one of the NNTP to HTTP gateways out there like
>Giganews, Easynews, etc, since those will automagically re-assemble the
>files for you.

1) Giganews doesn't offer a NNTP to HTTP gateway.
2) Why would they?  Unless they're especially stupid NNTP isn't that
hard to manage using some of the better binary clients out there.

--
Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there.