[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Daniel L. Hunter" <dhunter at TechMethods dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Co-lo Firewall
 Date:  Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:09:40 -0500
I've successfully installed m0n0wall on an old Compaq desktop I had
laying around and am very impressed.  But this setup will only work for
my home or office network.  I need a firewall for a co-located
multipurpose server (DB, SMTP/POP3, HTTP, FTP) that hosts around 40
domains (this could expand to 100 domains).  The throughput needs to be
between 800 kbps - 1.5 mbps.

Would a Soekris or Wrap board be able to handle this?  Or would I have
to move up to a 1u server with more processing power and memory?  I'd
have to pay a monthly fee for the rack space if I use a 1u server but an
appliance wouldn't cost me anything so I'd prefer to stay with the
appliance if possible.  I don't care about noise or power
consumption...just stability and performance.

Based on what I've read on this mailing list it seems that most of you
are using m0n0wall for protecting your home or small business network.
Is anyone using m0n0wall for this kind of application?  Would m0n0wall
be appropriate for a co-located web server?

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Danny