[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Opt1 DHCP Address
 Date:  Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:21:10 -0500
technik at webcats dot ch wrote:
> Hello,
> Please forget the first Mail!!!!
>
> I searched the FAQ and the Mailing archive, but I didn't find any
> solution of my question. Is it possible to configure the Opt1
> Interface that he receives a DHCP address?
> Is this possible?
> Any Idea would be great.
>
> Thx in advance
> Chris
> PS: My knowledge in Linux isn't very great :)

Just as you cannot dynamically assign an IP to the LAN interface you
cannot dynamically assign an IP to the optional interfaces (OPTn). The
m0n0wall will act as the gateway for the subnet attached to internal
interfaces (LAN and OPTn). Gateways generally do not have dynamic
addresses.

This assumes that you are not bridging your OPTn interface. If you are
bridging your OPTn to WAN or LAN it will not be assigned an IP.

James W. McKeand

P.S. Linux knowledge is not needed for m0n0wall, but, IP and routing
knowledge is helpful.