[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jouni Rinne <jouni dot rinne at luukku dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Booting without monitor
 Date:  Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:37:14 +0200
Peter Parnican wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I had a BIG problem how to boot m0n0 without monitor. (usig PII, 333MHz,
> my BIOS doesn't have this possibility)
>
> Now its OK! I did small "researching" and hopefully i can help to
> someone with my results....
> Here Is what could help:
> http://www.monowall.procad.sk/boot_without_monitor.php
>
> You'll need:
> - resistance 3 x 72 - 76 Ohm
> - conector compatible with VGA graphics card
> Then use resistance to join pins:
> 1 - 6
> 2 - 7
> 3 - 8
> ...I'm using resistance 3 x 56 Ohm, because I didn't have bigger value
> :-) ..its working longer then 6 months without problems. (but somethings
> about 70 Ohm will be better)
>
> Peter Parnican

Yeah, familiar problems with PC's... I have found two solutions to this:
1) If your motherboard is old enough, use some old ISA display adapter from a
386/486 (that's what I did with my m0n0wall box)
2) Use the 'dummy vga-plug' method you described. Also, if your box is stupid
enough to prevent you from booting without a keyboard (i.e. Compaq), here's a
solution I used on my file server: http://www.kotiposti.net/madmaxjr/compaq.html

JR

--
| me@home ~$whoami            ^ ^  | "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" |
| Jouni 'Mad Max' Rinne      ('x') | - Sledge Hammer                    |