[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "'Morten Trab'" <mailing at trab dot dk>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Booting from harddrive = Read Error on boot
 Date:  Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:44:26 -0500
Morten Trab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup my new m0n0wall box to run of hard drive.
>
> I've used a knoppix CD to write the image to the disk with the
> command:
>
> gunzip -c generic-pc-1.11.img | dd of=/dev/hda bs=16k
>
> When executing fdisk afterwards I can see the partition (size
> ~25megs) but when booting it just writes Read Error to the monitor.
>
> Have I been doing something wrong or ...??

I remember hearing of people having trouble installing from Linux, so
try *BSD.

Give this a try: http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/liveinstaller/ The
download is 56MB. Chris has built an ISO for a CDRom you can boot
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE then install m0n0wall. Directions are on the page
(he mentioned he would add to the image, not sure if that has been
done yet...)

The disk will have 1.1 and 1.2b2 (according to Chris' site) you can
upgrade to 1.11 or 1.2b3 after you have 1.1 or 1.2b2 up and running.

James W. McKeand