[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Blais <cblais at watarts dot uwaterloo dot ca>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Booting from CF/IDE
 Date:  Sun, 9 Jan 2005 15:11:39 -0500 (EST)
I currently have m0n0wall running on a 586ipvg (or something similar)
motherboard with a P166 and 48MB ram. It runs fine using a CD/floppy. I'd
like to switch to it running on a CF-card because I don't have the space
for an entire computer to run a router.

However, when I write the image (m0n0wall.generic-pc-1.11.img) to either a
CF card or a hard drive, the system just hangs after detecting the hard
drives. I don't get any error messages. I've let it sit for a few minutes
and it still just hangs on the bootup screen. That is, i see something
like the following:

--snip--
Primary IDE Master: Lexar ATA drive
Primary IDE Slave: None
Secondary IDE Master: None
Secondary IDE Slave: None
--snip--

The bios is correctly detecting the number of heads/sectors/cylinders. (at
least i think it is; i can boot the CF card in my server MS-6380 1800+XP
with the same H/S/C settings).

Also, if I just put random files on the card or leave it blank, the system
gets past the HD detection fine and attempts to boot. I've tried 2
different media (16MB lexar CF, 256MB sandisk CF, 3.1GB hard drive).

It seems as though the system doesn't like the freeBSD mbr or something. I
have a fair bit of experience with linux, but not with bsd.

Chris R. Blais                  Department of Psychology
Ph.D. Candidate                 University of Waterloo
Cognition and Perception        200 University Avenue West
(519) 888-4567 x 5012           Waterloo, ON, N2L 3G1
Office: PAS 4042                Canada